Questions that arise when working with the SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree and SimpleEditorLight applications.
• Is it possible to open files contextually. For example, from the file manager?
Yes. Contextually open text files with the extension TXT, TEXT, HTML, HTM, etc.
To do this, click on the desired file and select SimpleEditor/ SimpleEditorFree/ SimpleEditorLight in the appeared system menu.
• How can I extract text from documents in RTF, PDF or MS Office format? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
To do this, enter the settings menu and enable the corresponding item "Import text from ...". Then, through the main menu, open the desired file. Or open the file contextually (for versions SimpleEditorFree 1.7.1 and higher, SimpleEditor 1.4.5 and higher) from an application (for example, Google Drive or the file manager).
• Why there is no result when trying to extract text from a PDF document (blank screen)? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
This is due to the fact that the pages of a PDF document contain scanned copies (photos) of the text.
If the text was used to create a PDF document, not its photograph, then the import will be successful.
(For example, a PDF document was created by importing from MS-Word or another text editor. PDF documents created by assembling scanned copies (photos) of text are much larger in size than PDF documents created by importing the same text.)
• How to select a block of text?
To do this, you need to make a long press on the first word of the block. The cursor will appear and the word will be highlighted. Then you have to drag the cursor to the end of the block.
• How do I organize files in the file search window?
To do this, enter the settings window. Expand the "File manager window" item and set the sort mode: "by name" or "by extension".
Depending on the version of Android, there may be different options:
1) In the file selection window in the menu bar there is a sort button (in the form of three bars - located on the right). When pressed, a menu with a choice of sorting type is called up.
2) In the menu bar, click the "Folder Contents as a List" button. The list has column headings (name, type ...). To sort by name, click on the heading of the "Name" column. To sort by type, click on the heading of the "Type" column. Etc.
• Why can't some recent files open? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
There are several reasons.
Perhaps the desired file was previously located on removable media (SD or USB) that was removed.
Or the file was opened from the context menu of another application. For example, from a file manager or Google Drive. In this case, it is possible that the application provided a temporary link to the file. And this link is valid until you restart your smartphone / tablet or exit the SimpleEditor/SimpleEditorFree application.
Invalid links can be removed from the list of recent files (starting with version 1.7.2 SimpleEditorFree and 1.4.6 SimpleEditor. Details on the Documentation page).
• How can I write the edited file to another existing file? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
To do this, in the main menu, click "Save As". In the file manager window go to the desired folder. If the "Show contents of folders" item is enabled in the settings window, you can click on the desired file. Otherwise, you need to press the button with the image of a floppy disk. A file name entry box appears. After selecting a file, a window will appear asking for permission to overwrite the file.
• What is additional editing panel for? (SimpleEditor)
This panel allows you to get quick access to the main features of the editor, without using the side menu. At the same time, the panel takes up space on the screen (which is not desirable for devices with a low screen resolution). Therefore, the panel is turned on and off in the application settings.
• How to change the case of characters? (SimpleEditor)
1. To do this, in the application settings, enable an additional editing panel.
2. If you need to change the case of characters in a fragment of text, you need to select this fragment. (If you want to change the case of all text, then you do not need to select anything.)
3. Then on the additional panel, press Aa
• What is the purpose of the "folder to write import files"? (SimlpeEditor)
If the size of the text after import exceeds 100 Kb, then there may be delays when displaying and scrolling (depending on the device performance).
To avoid the device "hanging", a mechanism is provided for writing the received text to a file. A window appears asking where to display the text.
If "FILE" is selected, the text is written to a file in the folder specified in the settings. The file name is created from the source file name. The extension is specified in the settings.
• What is the purpose of the button of changing the editing mode? (SimlpeEditor)
The button switches the character insertion mode to the character replacement mode (similar to the "Ins" button for computer text editors).
If insert mode is enabled, when you press the keyboard button, a new character is inserted at the cursor position and the string is shifted one character to the right. If a block of text is copied, then at the insertion point the line is shifted to the right by the length of this block.
If replacement mode is enabled, the new character replaces the one to the right of the cursor and the string is not shifted. When you copy a block of text, the line does not move to the right. The block overwrites the characters to the right of the cursor.
INSERT mode is on:
REPLACEMENT mode is on:
• Why might I need to force text AutoCorrect to be disabled? (SimpleEditor)
If auto-correction is enabled in the keyboard settings, then when you enter text, the Android system can automatically append some words.
At the same time, in the REPLACEMENT mode of characters, the text is erased to the right of the cursor. It may look like the sudden disappearance of letters or even words. To prevent this from happening, auto-correction can be disabled in the application settings.
Auto-correction of text can be disabled only within the SimpleEditor application and this does not affect other applications!
• How to work with files on Google Drive?
You must install the Google Drive app on your Android device.
SimpleEditorFree (since version 1.6.7) and SimpleEditor (since version 1.4.2) can only edit an existing file.
In the editors there is no way to CREATE a file and write it to Google Drive (This feature is currently only available in SimpleEditorLight).
There are two ways to open a file on Google Drive:
1) Through the system file manager (Fig. 1).
2) Through the Google Drive application (Fig. 2).
To do this, click on the file and select the desired editor in the context menu that appears.
Changes are saved in the usual way.
In SimpleEditorLight, files on Google Drive can also be opened through the "Open" editor menu. If a new file is created, then it can be saved to Google Drive using the "Save" or "Save As" menu items.
• How to work with files on Microsoft OneDrive? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorLight)
You must install the Microsoft OneDrive app on your Android device.
SimpleEditorLight: Files can be opened from the editor ("Open" menu), or from the context menu of the file manager, or by calling the context menu of the OneDrive application.
SimpleEditor: Files open from the context menu of the OneDrive app.
Changes are saved in the usual way.
• How to work with files on DropBox? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorLight)
You must install the DropBox app on your Android device.
For now, you can edit an existing file. You cannot write a new file to DropBox from the editor.
The file can be opened for editing from the DropBox application by calling the context menu.
Changes are saved in the usual way.
• How to print a file? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorLight)
1) Launch Google Chrome on your computer.
Select the menu item "Settings" and click "Advanced" (Fig. 3)
Find the "Print" item and click "Google Cloud Print" (Fig. 4)
Select "Manage Cloud Print devices" (Fig. 5)
Click the "Add Printers" button (Fig. 6)
Sign in to your Google Account (if you’re not signed in before)
Mark the printers connected to your computer that you will use for printing in Android
Click the "Add Printer" button. (Fig. 7)
2) Install the Google Cloud Print app on your Android device.