Questions that arise when working with the SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree and SimpleEditorLight applications.
• How to make the file open faster?
To do this, you need to enable line wrapping in the settings.
• Is it possible to open files from the context menu. For example, from the file manager?
Yes. Files with a text format (with the extension TXT, TEXT, HTML, HTM, XML, SVG and others) are opened from the context menu.
To do this, click on the desired file and select the application SimpleEditor / SimpleEditorFree / SimpleEditorLight in the context menu that appears.
• Why can't I save the file? The following messages appear: "Storage ID not found!" or "File path not found!"
This mainly happens when the user opens a file from the context menu of a third-party application (for example, from the file manager).
Some applications (including file managers) create a link to a file with read-only rights and pass it to the text editor SimpleEditor/SimpleEditorFree/SimpleEditorLight.
In this case, the text editor is forced to search for the file in the storage in order to access it with write permissions for the file. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to find the file.
In such cases, you need to open the file through the main menu of the text editor "Open". (Or through the context menu of another file manager).
• How can I extract text from documents in RTF, PDF or MS Office format? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
To do this, enter the settings menu and enable the corresponding item "Import text from ...". Then open the desired file from the main menu or from the application’s context menu (for example, Google Drive or the file manager).
• Why there is no result when trying to extract text from a PDF document (blank screen)? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
This is due to the fact that the pages of a PDF document contain scanned copies (photos) of the text.
If the text was used to create a PDF document, not its photograph, then the import will be successful.
(For example, a PDF document was created by importing from MS-Word or another text editor. PDF documents created by assembling scanned copies (photos) of text are much larger in size than PDF documents created by importing the same text.)
• How to select a block of text?
To do this, you need to make a long press on the first word of the block. The cursor will appear and the word will be highlighted. Then you have to drag the cursor to the end of the block.
• How do the "Start of string" and "End of string" buttons work?
Lines are separated from each other by a newline character ("Enter" button).
This can be seen if you disable line wrapping in the application settings.
When the jump to start of line button is pressed, the cursor is positioned at the left edge of the screen. At the beginning of the sentence that the line starts with.
If the go to end of line button is pressed, the cursor is positioned at the end of the sentence that is the last in the line.
• How do I organize files in the file search window?
To do this, in the file search window, click on the sort button. A menu will appear. In it, select the sort mode: "by name", "by extension", "by date", or "by length".
If you make a long press on the sort button, the direction of file sorting will change: sorting in ascending order will be changed to sorting in descending order (and vice versa).
Depending on the version of Android, there may be different options:
1) In the file selection window in the menu bar there is a sort button (in the form of three bars - located on the right). When pressed, a menu with a choice of sorting type is called up.
2) In the menu bar, click the "Folder Contents as a List" button. The list has column headings (name, type ...). To sort by name, click on the heading of the "Name" column. To sort by type, click on the heading of the "Type" column. Etc.
• Why can't some recent files open? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
There are several reasons.
Perhaps the desired file was previously located on removable media (SD or USB) that was removed.
Or the file was opened from the context menu of another application. For example, from a file manager or Google Drive. In this case, it is possible that the application provided a temporary link to the file. And this link is valid until you restart your smartphone / tablet or exit the SimpleEditor/SimpleEditorFree application.
Invalid links can be removed from the list of recent files. Details on the Documentation page).
• How can I write the edited file to another existing file? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
To do this, in the main menu, click "Save As". In the file manager window go to the desired folder. If the "Show contents of folders" item is enabled in the settings window, you can click on the desired file. Otherwise, you need to press the button with the image of a floppy disk. A file name entry box appears. After selecting a file, a window will appear asking for permission to overwrite the file.
• What is additional editing panel for? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
This panel allows you to get quick access to the main features of the editor, without using the side menu. At the same time, the panel takes up space on the screen (which is not desirable for devices with a low screen resolution). Therefore, the panel is turned on and off in the application settings.
• What is the purpose of the buttons on the additional panel?
1 - Undo
2 - Redo
3 - Search
4 - Replacement
5 - Keyboard
6 - Voice Input
7 - Start of string
8 - End of string
1 - Go to start
2 - Go to end
3 - Undo
4 - Redo
5 - Search
6 - Replacement
7 - Font
8 - Keyboard
9 - Voice Input
10 - Find line by number
11 - Start of string
12 - End of string
1 - Search
2 - Replacement
3 - Undo
4 - Redo
5 - Tab symbol
6 - Insert
7 - Change case
8 - Keyboard
9 - Voice Input
10 - Find line by number
11 - Start of string
12 - End of string
• How to change the case of characters? (SimpleEditor)
1. To do this, in the application settings, enable an additional editing panel.
2. If you need to change the case of characters in a fragment of text, you need to select this fragment. (If you want to change the case of all text, then you do not need to select anything.)
3. Then on the additional panel, press Aa
• What is the purpose of the "folder to write import files"? (SimlpeEditor)
If the size of the text after import exceeds 100 Kb, then there may be delays when displaying and scrolling (depending on the device performance).
To avoid the device "hanging", a mechanism is provided for writing the received text to a file. A window appears asking where to display the text.
If "FILE" is selected, the text is written to a file in the folder specified in the settings. The file name is created from the source file name. The extension is specified in the settings.
• What is the purpose of the button of changing the editing mode? (SimlpeEditor)
The button switches the character insertion mode to the character replacement mode (similar to the "Ins" button for computer text editors).
If insert mode is enabled, when you press the keyboard button, a new character is inserted at the cursor position and the string is shifted one character to the right. If a block of text is copied, then at the insertion point the line is shifted to the right by the length of this block.
If replacement mode is enabled, the new character replaces the one to the right of the cursor and the string is not shifted. When you copy a block of text, the line does not move to the right. The block overwrites the characters to the right of the cursor.
INSERT mode is on:
REPLACEMENT mode is on:
• Why might I need to force text AutoCorrect to be disabled? (SimpleEditor)
If auto-correction is enabled in the keyboard settings, then when you enter text, the Android system can automatically append some words.
At the same time, in the REPLACEMENT mode of characters, the text is erased to the right of the cursor. It may look like the sudden disappearance of letters or even words. To prevent this from happening, auto-correction can be disabled in the application settings.
Auto-correction of text can be disabled only within the SimpleEditor application and this does not affect other applications!
• How to work with files on Google Drive?
Your Android device must have a Google Account and a Google Drive app.
SimpleEditorFree can only edit an existing file.
The editor cannot write a new file to Google Drive (SimpleEditor and SimpleEditorLight applications can do this).
There are two ways to open a file on Google Drive:
1) Through the system file manager (Fig. 1).
2) Through the Google Drive application (Fig. 2). To do this, click on the file and select the desired editor in the context menu that appears.
Changes are saved in the usual way.
In SimpleEditor and SimpleEditorLight, files on Google Drive can also be opened through the "Open" editor menu. If a new file is created, then it can be saved to Google Drive using the "Save" or "Save As" menu items.
• How to work with files on Microsoft OneDrive? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorLight)
Your Android device must have a Microsoft OneDrive app. You must enter this application at least once using a suitable account.
At the moment, you can only edit an existing file. You cannot save a new file to OneDrive.
Files can be opened from the main application menu. Or from the context menu of the file manager. Or from the context menu of the OneDrive app.
Changes are saved in the usual way.
• How to work with files on Dropbox? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorLight)
You must install the Dropbox app on your Android device.
At the moment you can:
1) create a new file and save it to Dropbox;
2) edit the existing file and save it under a different name on Dropbox.
Files can be opened from the main menu of the application. Or from the context menu of the Dropbox application.
• How to print a file? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorLight)
1) Launch Google Chrome on your computer.
Select the menu item "Settings" and click "Advanced" (Fig. 3)
Find the "Print" item and click "Google Cloud Print" (Fig. 4)
Select "Manage Cloud Print devices" (Fig. 5)
Click the "Add Printers" button (Fig. 6)
Sign in to your Google Account (if you’re not signed in before)
Mark the printers connected to your computer that you will use for printing in Android
Click the "Add Printer" button. (Fig. 7)
2) Install the Google Cloud Print app on your Android device.
• How do I use the print settings? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorLight)
Control the transfer of words to a new line during output to the printer - This option is used if you need to print long lines without a break
(for example, mathematical formulas) or print consecutive spaces (2 or more spaces between words).
Select text alignment before printing - If this option is activated, then when you click the "print" item in the main menu, a dialog box will appear with a choice of the type of alignment.
Divide text into paragraphs - If this option is activated, then when forming a print layout, each line that has a newline character at the end (the Enter key on the keyboard) will be considered as a separate paragraph. If you want to group multiple sentences into a paragraph, there should be no newline character between the sentences. The newline character must be at the end of the last sentence of the paragraph only.
• How does reading mode work? (SimpleEditor)
In reading mode, the editor can open large files (1 GB or more).
The file is read in fragments. If the end of the fragment is reached during scrolling on the screen, then when moving to the next fragment, a slight shift in the contents of the editor window is observed.
To speed up file navigation, an additional editing panel contains a slider that can be moved.
The extreme right position of the slider corresponds to the last fragment of the file.
A file less than 80 Kb in size is read completely and the navigation slider does not appear for it.
• How does auto save work? (SimpleEditor)
Autosave is for a file that was previously created and is now being edited.
Autosave can be either disabled or performed at the selected interval: after 1, 3, 5 or 10 minutes.
• How do I switch between open files? (SimpleEditorLight, SimpleEditor)
To do this, click the button next to the file name.
A list of files appears, from which you can select the desired file.
• Why do I get the message "Sorry your device not supported" when I press the "Voice Input" button?
The most common reason is that the Google app is not installed on your device, or the app is disabled. You can check if the Google application is installed and enabled by opening the Applications section in your device's settings.
• How do I change the keyboard layout (language)? (SimpleEditor)
After connecting the USB keyboard, you need to configure it. Open your Android device's settings and look for "Language & input".
Android 5.x - 6.0
Android 6. Figure 1. Select the keyboard you want to customize.
Android 6. Figure 2. Click the "Set up Keyboard Layouts"
Android 6. Figure 3. Select the languages to associate with this keyboard.
Android 6. Figure 4. The window will indicate the key combination that you need to use to change the language in the text editor.
Android 7. Figure 1. Click on the item "Physical keyboard".
Android 7. Figure 2. We find the required keyboard and click the languages that we will register one by one.
Android 7. Figure 3. We set the layout for the selected language.
Android 7. Figure 4. After linking the keyboard layout to the language.
Android 7. Figure 5. In the text editor window, press Ctrl-K and select the layout.
Android 8. Figure 1. Click on the item "Physical keyboard".
Android 8. Figure 2. We find the required keyboard and click the languages that we will register one by one.
Android 8. Figure 3. We set the layout for the selected language.
Android 8. Figure 4. After linking the keyboard layout to the language.
Android 8. Figure 5. In the text editor window, press Ctrl-K and select the layout.
Android 9. Figure 1. Click on the item "Physical keyboard".
Android 9. Figure 2. Click on the desired keyboard.
Android 9. Figure 3. Press the button "Set up keyboard Layouts".
Android 9. Figure 4. We choose the languages between which we will switch.
Android 9. Figure 5. A list of languages and a keyboard shortcut will be displayed. This keyboard shortcut will be used to change the language in the text editor window.
Android 9. Figure 6. The default keyboard language will be displayed.
Android 11. Figure 1. Click on the item "Physical keyboard".
Android 11. Figure 2. We find the required keyboard and click the languages that we will register one by one.
Android 11. Figure 3. We set the layout for the selected language.
Android 11. Figure 4. A list of languages and a keyboard shortcut will be displayed. This keyboard shortcut will be used to change the language in the text editor window.
• What keyboard shortcuts are assigned in the text editor? (SimpleEditor)
In addition to the standard editing keys, key combinations are assigned that duplicate the functions of the main menu items and buttons on the bottom panel.
(After connecting the physical keyboard, you can disable the bottom edit panel).
New file: Ctrl-N
Open file: Ctrl-O
Open in a new window: Ctrl-Alt-O
Open recent: Ctrl-Shift-O
Save file: Ctrl-S
Save as: Ctrl-Shift-S
Close file: Ctrl-F4
Close application: Alt-F4
Search in a file: Ctrl-F
Output to printer: Ctrl-P
Switch keyboard layout: Ctrl-K
Display help window: Ctrl-I
At the beginning of the file: Ctrl-PgUp
At the end of the file: Ctrl-PgDn
At the beginning of the line: Ctrl-Home
At the end of the line: Ctrl-End
On line with number: Ctrl-L
Tab character: Tab
Insert mode switch: Insert
Change case of characters: Ctrl-U
Voice input: Ctrl-M
• How to install a font from a file (*.ttf or *.otf)? (SimpleEditor)
(This function is available in application version 2.7.6 and higher.)
First, you need to copy the font file to the device memory (for example, to the Download folder).
Open the font choice window and select "User's Font". Then click on the text box (Fig. 1)
The navigation window will open. Find the font file you want and click on it.
Information about the location of the font file will be written in the text box. If the font file contains no errors, then a sample text will be shown at the bottom of the window (Fig. 2).
To install the font, click the "Choose" button.
1) When starting the application or resuming a session, the existence of the current font and the default font is checked.
If the font file is not found, a corresponding message will appear (For example, the font file has been deleted or moved to another location or renamed).
If the font file is damaged or in an unsuitable format, a corresponding message will appear.
In such cases, the "monospace" system font is automatically installed.
2) If the application fails to apply the user's font settings, then the "monospace" font settings are automatically used (This can be seen from the sample text in the font chooser window).
3) In the event that the failure is related to the default font file, do not forget to change the application settings!