Questions that arise when working with the SimpleEditorFree (SimpleEditor) application.
• Is it possible to open files contextually. For example, from the file manager?
Yes. Contextually open text files with the extension TXT, TEXT, HTML, HTM, etc.
To do this, click on the desired file and select SimpleEditorFree (SimpleEditor) in the appeared system menu.
• How can I extract text from documents in RTF, PDF or MS Office format?
To do this, enter the settings menu and enable the corresponding item "Import text from ...". Then, through the main menu, open the desired file.
• Why there is no result when trying to extract text from a PDF document (blank screen)?
This is due to the fact that the pages of a PDF document contain scanned copies (photos) of the text.
If the text was used to create a PDF document, not its photograph, then the import will be successful.
(For example, a PDF document was created by importing from MS-Word or another text editor. PDF documents created by assembling scanned copies (photos) of text are much larger in size than PDF documents created by importing the same text.)
• How to select a block of text?
To do this, you need to make a long press on the first word of the block. The cursor will appear and the word will be highlighted. Then you have to drag the cursor to the end of the block.
• How do I organize files in the file search window?
To do this, enter the settings window. Expand the "File manager window" item and set the sort mode: "by name" or "by extension".
• How can I write the edited file to another existing file?
To do this, in the main menu, click "Save As". In the file manager window go to the desired folder. If the "Show contents of folders" item is enabled in the settings window, you can click on the desired file. Otherwise, you need to press the button with the image of a floppy disk. A file name entry box appears. After selecting a file, a window will appear asking for permission to overwrite the file.
• What is additional editing panel for (SimpleEditor)?
This panel allows you to get quick access to the main features of the editor, without using the side menu. At the same time, the panel takes up space on the screen (which is not desirable for devices with a low screen resolution). Therefore, the panel is turned on and off in the application settings.
• How to change the case of characters (SimpleEditor)?
1. To do this, in the application settings, enable an additional editing panel.
2. If you need to change the case of characters in a fragment of text, you need to select this fragment. (If you want to change the case of all text, then you do not need to select anything.)
3. Then on the additional panel, press Aa
• What is the purpose of the "folder to write import files" (SimlpeEditor)?
If the size of the text after import exceeds 100 Kb, then there may be delays when displaying and scrolling (depending on the device performance).
To avoid the device "hanging", a mechanism is provided for writing the received text to a file. A window appears asking where to display the text.
If "FILE" is selected, the text is written to a file in the folder specified in the settings. The file name is created from the source file name. The extension is specified in the settings.
• What is the purpose of the button of changing the editing mode (SimlpeEditor)?
The button switches the character insertion mode to the character replacement mode (similar to the "Ins" button for computer text editors).
If insert mode is enabled, when you press the keyboard button, a new character is inserted at the cursor position and the string is shifted one character to the right. If a block of text is copied, then at the insertion point the line is shifted to the right by the length of this block.
If replacement mode is enabled, the new character replaces the one to the right of the cursor and the string is not shifted. When you copy a block of text, the line does not move to the right. The block overwrites the characters to the right of the cursor.
INSERT mode is on:
REPLACEMENT mode is on:
• Why might I need to force text AutoCorrect (SimpleEditor) to be disabled?
If auto-correction is enabled in the keyboard settings, then when you enter text, the Android system can automatically append some words.
At the same time, in the REPLACEMENT mode of characters, the text is erased to the right of the cursor. It may look like the sudden disappearance of letters or even words. To prevent this from happening, auto-correction can be disabled in the application settings.
Auto-correction of text can be disabled only within the SimpleEditor application and this does not affect other applications!
• How to work with files on Google Disk?
This feature is implemented in versions 1.6.7 SimpleEditorFree and 1.4.2 SimpleEditor.
In the editors there is no way to CREATE a file and write it to Google Disk (This feature is currently only available in SimpleEditorLight).
You can edit only an existing file! There are two ways to open a file on Google Disk:
1) Through the system file manager (Fig. 1).
2) Through the Google Disk application (Fig. 2).
To do this, click on the file and select the desired editor in the context menu that appears.
Changes are saved in the usual way.