Questions that arise when working with the SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree and SimpleEditorLight applications.
• How to make the file open faster?
To do this, you need to enable line wrapping in the settings.
• Is it possible to open files from the context menu. For example, from the file manager?
Yes. Files with a text format (with the extension TXT, TEXT, HTML, HTM, XML, SVG and others) are opened from the context menu.
To do this, click on the desired file and select the application SimpleEditor / SimpleEditorFree / SimpleEditorLight in the context menu that appears.
• How can I extract text from documents in RTF, PDF or MS Office format? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
To do this, enter the settings menu and enable the corresponding item "Import text from ...". Then open the desired file from the main menu or from the application’s context menu (for example, Google Drive or the file manager).
• Why there is no result when trying to extract text from a PDF document (blank screen)? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
This is due to the fact that the pages of a PDF document contain scanned copies (photos) of the text.
If the text was used to create a PDF document, not its photograph, then the import will be successful.
(For example, a PDF document was created by importing from MS-Word or another text editor. PDF documents created by assembling scanned copies (photos) of text are much larger in size than PDF documents created by importing the same text.)
• How to select a block of text?
To do this, you need to make a long press on the first word of the block. The cursor will appear and the word will be highlighted. Then you have to drag the cursor to the end of the block.
• How do the "Start of string" and "End of string" buttons work?
Lines are separated from each other by a newline character ("Enter" button).
This can be seen if you disable line wrapping in the application settings.
When the jump to start of line button is pressed, the cursor is positioned at the left edge of the screen. At the beginning of the sentence that the line starts with.
If the go to end of line button is pressed, the cursor is positioned at the end of the sentence that is the last in the line.
• How do I organize files in the file search window?
To do this, in the file search window, click on the sort button. A menu will appear. In it, select the sort mode: "by name", "by extension" or "by date".
Depending on the version of Android, there may be different options:
1) In the file selection window in the menu bar there is a sort button (in the form of three bars - located on the right). When pressed, a menu with a choice of sorting type is called up.
2) In the menu bar, click the "Folder Contents as a List" button. The list has column headings (name, type ...). To sort by name, click on the heading of the "Name" column. To sort by type, click on the heading of the "Type" column. Etc.
• Why can't some recent files open? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
There are several reasons.
Perhaps the desired file was previously located on removable media (SD or USB) that was removed.
Or the file was opened from the context menu of another application. For example, from a file manager or Google Drive. In this case, it is possible that the application provided a temporary link to the file. And this link is valid until you restart your smartphone / tablet or exit the SimpleEditor/SimpleEditorFree application.
Invalid links can be removed from the list of recent files. Details on the Documentation page).
• How can I write the edited file to another existing file? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
To do this, in the main menu, click "Save As". In the file manager window go to the desired folder. If the "Show contents of folders" item is enabled in the settings window, you can click on the desired file. Otherwise, you need to press the button with the image of a floppy disk. A file name entry box appears. After selecting a file, a window will appear asking for permission to overwrite the file.
• What is additional editing panel for? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorFree)
This panel allows you to get quick access to the main features of the editor, without using the side menu. At the same time, the panel takes up space on the screen (which is not desirable for devices with a low screen resolution). Therefore, the panel is turned on and off in the application settings.
• What is the purpose of the buttons on the additional panel? (SimpleEditor)
• How to change the case of characters? (SimpleEditor)
1. To do this, in the application settings, enable an additional editing panel.
2. If you need to change the case of characters in a fragment of text, you need to select this fragment. (If you want to change the case of all text, then you do not need to select anything.)
3. Then on the additional panel, press Aa
• What is the purpose of the "folder to write import files"? (SimlpeEditor)
If the size of the text after import exceeds 100 Kb, then there may be delays when displaying and scrolling (depending on the device performance).
To avoid the device "hanging", a mechanism is provided for writing the received text to a file. A window appears asking where to display the text.
If "FILE" is selected, the text is written to a file in the folder specified in the settings. The file name is created from the source file name. The extension is specified in the settings.
• What is the purpose of the button of changing the editing mode? (SimlpeEditor)
The button switches the character insertion mode to the character replacement mode (similar to the "Ins" button for computer text editors).
If insert mode is enabled, when you press the keyboard button, a new character is inserted at the cursor position and the string is shifted one character to the right. If a block of text is copied, then at the insertion point the line is shifted to the right by the length of this block.
If replacement mode is enabled, the new character replaces the one to the right of the cursor and the string is not shifted. When you copy a block of text, the line does not move to the right. The block overwrites the characters to the right of the cursor.
INSERT mode is on:
REPLACEMENT mode is on:
• Why might I need to force text AutoCorrect to be disabled? (SimpleEditor)
If auto-correction is enabled in the keyboard settings, then when you enter text, the Android system can automatically append some words.
At the same time, in the REPLACEMENT mode of characters, the text is erased to the right of the cursor. It may look like the sudden disappearance of letters or even words. To prevent this from happening, auto-correction can be disabled in the application settings.
Auto-correction of text can be disabled only within the SimpleEditor application and this does not affect other applications!
• How to work with files on Google Drive?
Your Android device must have a Google Account and a Google Drive app.
SimpleEditorFree can only edit an existing file.
The editor cannot write a new file to Google Drive (SimpleEditor and SimpleEditorLight applications can do this).
There are two ways to open a file on Google Drive:
1) Through the system file manager (Fig. 1).
2) Through the Google Drive application (Fig. 2). To do this, click on the file and select the desired editor in the context menu that appears.
Changes are saved in the usual way.
In SimpleEditor and SimpleEditorLight, files on Google Drive can also be opened through the "Open" editor menu. If a new file is created, then it can be saved to Google Drive using the "Save" or "Save As" menu items.
• How to work with files on Microsoft OneDrive? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorLight)
Your Android device must have a Microsoft OneDrive app. You must enter this application at least once using a suitable account.
At the moment, you can only edit an existing file. You cannot save a new file to OneDrive.
Files can be opened from the main application menu. Or from the context menu of the file manager. Or from the context menu of the OneDrive app.
Changes are saved in the usual way.
• How to work with files on DropBox? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorLight)
You must install the DropBox app on your Android device.
At the moment, you can only edit an existing file. You cannot save a new file to DropBox.
The file can be opened from the context menu of the DropBox application.
Changes are saved in the usual way.
• How to print a file? (SimpleEditor, SimpleEditorLight)
1) Launch Google Chrome on your computer.
Select the menu item "Settings" and click "Advanced" (Fig. 3)
Find the "Print" item and click "Google Cloud Print" (Fig. 4)
Select "Manage Cloud Print devices" (Fig. 5)
Click the "Add Printers" button (Fig. 6)
Sign in to your Google Account (if you’re not signed in before)
Mark the printers connected to your computer that you will use for printing in Android
Click the "Add Printer" button. (Fig. 7)
2) Install the Google Cloud Print app on your Android device.
• How does reading mode work? (SimpleEditor)
In reading mode, the editor can open large files (1 GB or more).
The file is read in fragments. If the end of the fragment is reached during scrolling on the screen, then when moving to the next fragment, a slight shift in the contents of the editor window is observed.
To speed up file navigation, an additional editing panel contains a slider that can be moved.
The extreme right position of the slider corresponds to the last fragment of the file.
A file less than 80 Kb in size is read completely and the navigation slider does not appear for it.
• How does auto save work? (SimpleEditor)
Autosave is for a file that was previously created and is now being edited.
Autosave can be either disabled or performed at the selected interval: after 5, 10 or 15 minutes.
• How do I switch between open files? (SimpleEditorLight, SimpleEditor)
To do this, click the button next to the file name.
A list of files appears, from which you can select the desired file.